Tuesday, September 9, 2008

First week plus adventures




Hola! The first week in the new house has gone pretty well, with only a few snags. The workers are still painting the outside of the house, and we have things pretty well situated inside. We have used things enough times now to remember where we put them. The first thing we noticed when we moved into the kitchen was that there were no drawers. We worked that out, but the water pressure is not strong enough to get our water filter system to work, so we are still trying to figure that out. We are getting used to the noises, and sleeping better at night.

Yesterday, I was taking Alex to school, and it looked pretty nice, so I took her on the scooter. We made it all the way to school and it started to sprinkle. After I dropped her off, it started pouring rain. What else could I do, but jump on and ride like crazy. Luckily, the rain kept the traffic light, so only some of Ajijic, Mexico saw a crazy gringo chick flying down the road on the bright yellow scooter in the downpour yelling "YeeHa". I did have my sunglasses. They kept the rain out of my eyes, but didn't do much for visibility. I finally resorted to squinting one eye at a time. Just as I was pulling up to the house, the rain let up. Figures. No shower needed that day.

Today, however, I did have quite an adventure in the laundry area. The door does not have a key, and if you close it, there is no way inside except to have a person in the house to open the door for you. Well, Joe decided to take a nap with the kids, so he was upstairs sleeping, and I went out to hang the laundry...... anyway, I closed the door all the way (we have been trying to keep the flies out), and my fate was sealed. In my attempt to keep quiet and not wake the kids yelling, I tried just about anything you can think of to free myself from my laundry. I tried to pick the lock (yeah right), I attempted to climb the wall, and noticed "Cujo" next door. I attempted the SOS tapping, I attached the dust pan to the broom and tried knocking on the upstairs window. Finally, TWO HOURS LATER, the guys that were working on the house arrived back after siesta, and one of the guys saw me leaning on the window yelling Joe. I can't believe they slept so long, even with the roosters, the announcing vendor trucks, and the barking dog (who saw me looking above the wall and went crazy). Even the broom banging on the open window didn't stir them. Needless to say, I was extremely embarrassed when the worker finally let me out. I was sweating and dehydrated. I'm just glad he didn't know I was there for 2 hours. How is it you beg your kids to take naps, and when they finally listen, you lock your stupid self outside. Now, if Joe asks me where something is, I just tell him that "I am sure it's not out back."

This weekend is 16 de Septiembre. Mexico's Independence day. It should be good for some interesting events. Until the next update....

Pictures are of the kids eating their 'beans", and the neighbors yard from our mirador. Check out that view!

No comments: